New speed benchmark

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Feb 4 11:17:59 GMT 2006

Res wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Julian Field wrote:

>>> and at what loads
>>
>> Maintained about 10 which is what I would expect.
>
> 10? I hope to hell its on a 15 yo 5400 rpm ide
>
> thats only 8 msgs a second, we easily do more than that on dual xeon 2
> gig ram with qmail and qmailscan and the load avgs constant 2-2.5
Not wanting to start a flame war, but does qmailscan do all the HTML
analysis and phishing detection and all the extras you get with
MailScanner? It's far from just being an av wrapper bolted to
SpamAssassin. If I ran it as that, I would get far more messages per
second too. I was running on a default setup, which has all features
switched on. I was trying to produce a useful figure, not a marketing
FUD benchmark.

A load average of 10 is totally acceptable, please read up on what it
actually means, it's not an indicator of CPU load.

:-)

However, I agree with you on the qmail support for MailScanner. There is
a company that does all that, I leave them to it as I have never much
liked qmail anyway ;) ;)

--
Julian Field

believed to be clean.