Mailscanner not scanning queue
glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 12:34:36 GMT 2006
On 14/12/06, Gerard Seibert <gerard at seibercom.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday December 13, 2006 at 12:39:26 (PM) Nate wrote:
> > I just installed MailScanner + Postfix on 6 servers running Debian
> > Sarge. I installed from stable packages, so mailscanner is version
> > 4.41.3-2 and postfix is 2.1.5-9. I tried installing the latest
> > mailscanner from the unstable branch, but it has too many dependencies,
> > and if I fulfilled them, I'd be running unstable on the whole box
> > instead of stable. I followed the directions I found at
> > http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/172.
> > OK, that said, here's my problem. After starting mailscanner everything
> > appears to work fine... for a little while. On every server Mailscanner
> > eventually just doesn't see messages that arrive in the queue any more.
> > I do a postqueue -p and can see the messages waiting in the hold queue,
> > but mailscanner isn't doing anything with them.
> > I tried enabling Debug in the conf and running check_mailscanner. That
> > runs fine, but since it quits right away I don't think it hits the
> > problem where it's not seeing new messages.
> > Does anyone have any ideas of things to try from here? Any knows bugs
> > that I'm maybe hitting? If so, how do I install the latest version on
> > Debian Sarge?
> I don't know of this is relevant or not, but your copy of Postfix is
> ancient. In fact, anything prior to version 2.3 is antiquated. The
> latest no beta version is version 2.3.5 at present. I really believe you
> might want to update your version, especially if you intend to use
> SSL/TLS on your system.
Although correct in principle, this is largely beside the point here
Gerard, and further a matter of some debate (which we should _not_
This problem very likely (with that old version of MailScanner) stem
from "something" putting non-queue files into the hold queue
directory. If it is razor, just follow the numerous similar ways of
configuring this so that the razor log file is written somewhere sane,
if it is TNEF-related (winmail.dat etc) then try changing method
(internal/external decoder) in MailScanner.conf ... And, of course,
remove the garbage files from the hold queue.
If you want to act on Gerards advice (to update), you could very well
go unstable... it's not _that_ bad:-). Or go Ubuntu, if you want to
stay in the Debian sphere... Still would have pretty much the same
type of consieration between Dapper and Edgy, but with newer
If you decide to go for teh lates Postfix, you will _have to_ go with
the latest MailScanner as well (well, at least pretty close to:-).
email: glenn < dot > steen < at > gmail < dot > com
work: glenn < dot > steen < at > ap1 < dot > se
More information about the MailScanner