MailScanner on Virtual server

Dennis Willson taz at taz-mania.com
Thu Dec 7 18:55:03 GMT 2006

I'm currently consulting at VMWare.

At VMWare all infrastructure servers (mail, dns, dhcp, nis, etc...)
must all run withing VMs. No dedicated servers allowed! They believe
in using their own product.

Running MailScanner within a VM is not an issue, it runs fine. Just be
sure each VM has it's own dedicated RAID set and don't have multiple
VMs sharing the same hard disk.

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 16:51:26 +0000
  "Howard Robinson" <Howard at harper-adams.ac.uk> wrote:
>Dear list,
>Long term we are looking at consolidating our physical server
>requirement whilst at the same time increasing availability.  We are
>looking at VMware with several physical servers in a cluster sharing
>a mirrored disk array with a more sensible/secure/easy to use backup
>procedure that we have at present. Currently we have multiple tapes
>that need changing every day.
>
>Still not clear that we will go down that route but if we do are
>there any problems running MailScanner box within a VMWare
>environment?  Currently we use Red Hat Enterprise 3, sendmail, almost
>latest mailscanner plus the usual add-ons. Given the minimum power of
>the latest servers our MailScanner system is rarely stressed so could
>be one candidate for virtualisation. If it is stressed it's more a
>sign of something wrong than a real increase in mail.
>
>I can see an opportunity to be able to test revised setups with out
>the hassle of reinstallation if it fails.
>I have had a quick look at the archives back to early this year and
>saw nothing that seemed relevant.
>If you wish to reply directly please do so.
>

>Regards
>
>Howard Robinson,
>(Senior Technical Development Officer),
>Harper Adams University College,
>Edgmond,
>Newport,
>Shropshire ,
>TF10 8NB.
>
>Tel. Direct 01952 815253
>Tel. Switch Board 01952 820280
>Fax 01952 814783
>Email hrobinson at harper-adams.ac.uk
>Web www.harper-adams.ac.uk
>

>--
>
>Before posting, read http://wiki.mailscanner.info/posting

Dennis Willson

taz at taz-mania.com
http://www.taz-mania.com

Ham (Extra Class): ka6lsw
Scuba: Rescue Diver, EANx, Wreck, Night, Alt, Equip, UW Photographer,
Gas Blender

Owner: Kepnet Internet Services

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a nice looking and well preserved body, but rather
to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"