MailScanner on Virtual server

Martin Hepworth martinh at solidstatelogic.com
Thu Dec 7 17:11:59 GMT 2006

Howard Robinson wrote:
> Dear list,
> Long term we are looking at consolidating our physical server requirement whilst at the same time increasing availability.  We are looking at VMware with several physical servers in a cluster sharing a mirrored disk array with a more sensible/secure/easy to use backup procedure that we have at present. Currently we have multiple tapes that need changing every day.

get a backup server based on amanda.....nice and easy

mirrored/clustered won't help when the building burns or you have no
access to site to get at disks. you still need off site tapes!

> Still not clear that we will go down that route but if we do are there any problems running MailScanner box within a VMWare environment?  Currently we use Red Hat Enterprise 3, sendmail, almost latest mailscanner plus the usual add-ons. Given the minimum power of the latest servers our MailScanner system is rarely stressed so could be one candidate for virtualisation. If it is stressed it's more a sign of something wrong than a real increase in mail.
>
> I can see an opportunity to be able to test revised setups with out the hassle of reinstallation if it fails.
> I have had a quick look at the archives back to early this year and saw nothing that seemed relevant.
> If you wish to reply directly please do so.

works well from I hear. Julian has MS running this way.

--
Martin Hepworth
Senior Systems Administrator

the system manager.