Could Be OT: How many people only accept reverse DNS lookup mail?

Jim Holland mailscanner at mango.zw
Mon Aug 21 21:18:08 IST 2006

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Michael Baird wrote:

> I've been testing http://smfs.sourceforge.net/smf-sav.html this milter
> as well, on a lower pref MX (Spam Catcher). It goes further then just
> checking reverse DNS, it also checks whether the domain actually accepts
> mail, and if it accepts mail for the specified sender.

I have just installed it on a test machine and found it does what it says
- ie blocks mail from invalid envelope senders - very well.  However the
key drawback that stops me from putting it into production is that you
can't whitelist sender addresses that might be invalid but do send genuine
mail, eg from mailing lists, web sites, etc.  It also has a very limited
system for whitelisting hosts - but you have to put them all in one single
regular expression, which is not very convenient.  It is a pity that it
isn't integrated with the access file in the same way as require_rdns is.

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service