Could Be OT: How many people only accept reverse DNS lookupmail?

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Thu Aug 17 16:44:31 IST 2006

Michael Baird wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 09:11 -0400, Billy A. Pumphrey wrote:
>> Does anyone only accept email that will do a reverse lookup?  Does
>> anyone recommend it?
>
> I use it on all my inbound MX's, it's pretty standard, you won't see
> any problems using it, all the bigger ISP's implemented it some time
> ago, and brought the smaller guys into line.

Are we talking a milter here, or a sendmail built-in?  If it's already
in sendmail, what's it called?

> I've been testing http://smfs.sourceforge.net/smf-sav.html this milter
> as well, on a lower pref MX (Spam Catcher). It goes further then just
> checking reverse DNS, it also checks whether the domain actually
> accepts mail, and if it accepts mail for the specified sender.

Interesting.  It's not clear to me from the web page what I need for
that.  At the bottom is  lists "smf-sav v1.2.0 (Aug 15 2006)" and
"milter-spamblocker v2.0 (smart Anti Zombie + smart GreyList + cache
engine)".  Do I need both?  Looks like milter-spamblocker is $50 which
is not a problem (just an extra hoop to jump through).

How does the milter-spamblocker compare with the equivilant snertsoft
offerings?

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500