Could Be OT: How many people only accept reverse DNS lookupmail?

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Thu Aug 17 18:34:52 IST 2006

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Billy A. Pumphrey wrote:

> Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 12:45:00 -0400
> From: Billy A. Pumphrey <bpumphrey at WoodMacLaw.com>
> To: MailScanner discussion <mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info>
> Subject: RE: Could Be OT: How many people only accept reverse DNS lookupmail?

Nyet!!  The m4 file goes in your sendmail-8.x.x/cf/hack subdirectory.
Then you reference the m4 file in your sendmail.mc file, like so:

HACK(require_rdns,`REJECT')

Then you rebuild your sendmail.cf file from your sendmail.mc file like
so:

M4=/usr/local/bin/m4
CF=/usr/local/src/mail/sendmail/sendmail-8.13.8/cf
$M4 -D_CF_DIR_=${CF}/ ${CF}/m4/cf.m4 sendmail.mc > sendmail.cf

Then you save a copy of your old /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file, put the
new one in place, restart sendmail, and watch your logs to see what
happens.

This whole thing is a sendmail tweak, and has nothing to do with
MailScanner at all.  Tread carefully, and consult your copy of the
Bat Book.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College