Can the null address be specified in a ruleset?

Jim Holland mailscanner at mango.zw
Wed Apr 19 00:41:53 IST 2006

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Alex Neuman van der Hans wrote:

> I'm sure I could think of a couple of drastic solutions (firewalling
> them, bouncing everything to the ISP CEO's home address, etc.) that
> wouldn't really solve your problem.
>
> Are you sure the spacing is right in your spam.blacklist.rules? I always
> use tabs just in case, although I've heard you can use any whitespace.
> Are you restarting MailScanner when you make the changes? Is the
> "default" line at the end?

Yes/yes/yes.  I use spam.blacklist.rules all the time, so I am sure that I
am entering the details correctly.  However I would assume that
MailScanner does in fact ignore any angle brackets around an address.

> <vent>I really hate it when clueless admins do this. They should quit
> their job, donate their severance check to charity, and choose another
> profession :)</vent>

In this case the problem is with the infected corporate client of the ISP.
They are ironically using MailScanner, but obviously haven't configured it
correctly.  By receiving the bounces I can see exactly which of their
computers is infected.  But so far I have not been able to get any
response from the corporate client.  Now I just need to persuade their ISP
to close them down for a little while (weeks? months?) until they get
their act together.