RAR self-extracting archives

Marcin Rożek marcin.rozek at ios.edu.pl
Sat Apr 15 13:18:21 IST 2006

Hello crew,
I would like to allow RAR self-extracting archives to pass through MS
even though i block all .exe attachments.
I deny "\.exe$" in filename.rules.conf but allow "RAR" and
"self-extracting" in filetype.rules.conf.

Julian wrote in MailScanner.conf that:
#The filename and filetype rules are separate, so if you want to
#       allow executable *.exe files you will need at least
#           Allow Filenames = \.exe$
#           Allow Filetypes = executable
#       to make it pass both tests. If either test denies the attachment
#       then it will be blocked.

I guess that filetype/filename.rules.conf works the same way.
My question is: is there a way to allow self-extracting archives but NOT
to allow .exe file-extension in filetype.rules.conf?

Maybe new option in MailScanner.conf would resolve this problem (if one
test allows an attachment then let it through/if one test denies an
attachment then block it) ?

Other ideas?

--
Best regards,