Solaris 10: won't start via init script

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Sat Apr 15 16:59:57 IST 2006

Julian and Solaris 10 users,

I'm baffled by this one.  I had to move my mail services (under
duress, bad hardware) from a Solaris 9 to a Solaris 10 box last
night.  MailScanner (4.52.2) refuses to start via my /etc/init.d
script, which basically just does:

MSDIR=/opt/MailScanner
$MSDIR/bin/check_mailscanner

If I look at the syslog (leading timestamps trimmed), it just
spits out this over and over:

    MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner version 4.52.2 starting...
    Read 711 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
    Config: calling custom init function IPBlock
    Initialising IP blocking
    Read 128 IP blocking entries from /etc/MailScanner/IPBlock.conf
    Using SpamAssassin results cache
    Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
    Expired 1 records from the SpamAssassin cache

(pause, followed by another round in a few seconds).

Here's where it gets weird...  If I run in debug mode, a batch
runs fine.  If I just let the following root crontab run, MailScanner
kicks off and runs normally (in non-debug mode):

    #---Ensure my mailscanner is still running
    0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * [ -x /opt/MailScanner/bin/check_mailscanner ] && /opt/MailScanner/bin/check_mailscanner >/dev/null 2>&1

MailScanner --lint gives the following:

    Read 711 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
    Config: calling custom init function IPBlock
    Could not use Custom Function code MailScanner::CustomConfig::InitIPBlock, it could not be "eval"ed. Make sure the module is correct with perl -wc at /opt/MailScanner/lib/MailScanner/Config.pm line 803
    Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
    Using SpamAssassin results cache
    Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
    config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line, "/usr/bin/pyzor" is not valid for "pyzor_path", skipping: pyzor_path /usr/bin/pyzor
    config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line, "/usr/bin/pyzor" is not valid for "pyzor_path", skipping: pyzor_path /usr/bin/pyzor
    netset: cannot include 127.0.0.1/32 as it has already been included
    netset: cannot include 137.146.28.68/32 as it has already been included
    SpamAssassin reported an error.

    MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = clamavmodule"
    Found these virus scanners installed: clamavmodule, sophos

This output is the same as the old system, which is still up but
not processing email anymore.

I played with the setsockopt setting in Log.pm to see if that made
a difference; it didn't.  The manpage for syslogd in S10 says it
uses streams.

Any ideas?

Jeff Earickson
Colby College