segmentation fault starting MailScanner

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 11:46:22 IST 2006

On 01/04/06, Damian Mendoza <damian at workgroupsolutions.com> wrote:

> Any ideas what could be causing the following problem when starting
> MailScanner version 4.50.15, Sendmail 8.13.6, Spamassassin 3.1.0 and Perl
> 5.8.1 – I've been fighting this problems for months now when starting
> MailScanner though it does not happen every time I manually start
> MailScanner.
>

> Starting MailScanner daemons:
>
>          incoming sendmail: /etc/init.d/MailScanner: line 390: 11791
> Segmentation fault      $SENDMAIL -bd -OPrivacyOptions=noetrn
> -ODeliveryMode=queueonly -OQueueDirectory=$INQDIR -OPidFile=$INPID
>

> When the problem occurs, MailScanner does not start.
>

> I can make the problem happen by starting and stopping MailScanner about
> four times in a row.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Damian

This is very likely a HW problem. Start troubleshooting by running a
memory tester worth its salt on the system (http://www.memtest86.com/
... Assuming you are running on an x86 architecture... It is included
on many Live-CD distros, Ubuntu etc etc).

Also run fsck on every filesystem on the box (means you need boot to
something else .... Knoppix, SystemResqueCD, R.I.P. or your OS' normal
"non-disk" boot method). It's fairly unlikely, but a bum filesystem
*could* trip you up.

If those are "green", then something else is tipping you up (bum NIC,
bad drivers, botched libs .... the list is "endless":-).

--
-- Glenn