MailScanner discussion on webmin mail list

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Sep 26 09:25:27 IST 2005

This old chestnut. Wietse (Postfix author) doesn't like me, never
has, never will. What they say about sendmail not documenting their
internal queue format is simply untrue, see pages 379-392 of the
O'Reilly sendmail book, 2nd edition.
All documented in excruciating detail.

All the Exim support code in MailScanner has been double-checked,
line by line, by the guys who wrote Exim in the first place, and they
are quite happy with it and use it themselves for all 19,000 users at
Cambridge University, UK.

It's only Wietse who has a problem with it.

As other people will confirm, the Postfix support works fine. But no-
one is forcing you to use either Postfix or MailScanner. If you want
to use an entirely documented and supported setup, just switch MTA on
your MailScanner server. With most gateway systems, this is actually
fairly easy to do. Or else throw away the advantages of using
MailScanner and switch to amavis (which has forked into 4 separate
development branches, as no-one can agree on how to make it work).
But I would say that, wouldn't I. :-)

On 26 Sep 2005, at 04:19, Craig White wrote:

> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?
> thread_id=8301109&forum_id=3156
>
> Anyone care to comment?
>
> MailScanner works fine for me (and postfix)
>
> Craig

> believed to be clean.

Julian Field

believed to be clean.