MailScanner stops delivering e-mail to Postfix

Douglas Ward binaryflow at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 23:35:34 IST 2005

Restarting postfix does not resolve the problem.  I was running a dual
300 mhz server with 256 mb of RAM and have now replaced it because I
thought it might be part of the problem.  We are now running a AMD
3000+/1gb RAM unit now.  It should have plenty of horsepower to handle
MailScanner.  There are currently 17 messages in the queue as I write
this.  MailScanner is constantly scanning and rescanning these messages
over and over again but they never get sent to the incoming queue.  I see
this happening on both the incoming and outgoing e-mail gateways.  I'll
e-mail the requested information to Julian directly.  I'd rather not send
the contents of these messages to the open list.  The lock type is set to
flock by default.  I am running postfix which is not mentioned in the
conf file.  Should I switch to posix?  Thanks!

On 9/11/05, Drew Marshall <drew at themarshalls.co.uk> wrote:
      On 11 Sep 2005, at 13:06, Douglas Ward wrote:

      > After upgrading MailScanner to version 4.45.4-1 (Mandrake
      2005) I
      > have noticed that my mail gateways seem to be stopping
      delivery at
      > random times.  After a lot of time searching for a postfix
      error I
      > am starting to think that something may be wrong with
      MailScanner.

      > Symptoms:
      > 1) Postfix accepts the message and places it in the hold
      queue.
      > MailScanner scans the message but never gives it back to
      postfix.
      > It remains in the hold queue forever.
      > 2) I see e-mail in the queue that is several days
      old.  MailScanner
      > moved all of the e-mail from that day except for a handful
      of
      > messages.
      > 3) There are times when postfix will run with a certain
      number of
      > messages in the queue.  I'll check it in the morning and
      see 59
      > messages (for example).  E-mail will deliver all day and
      that
      > evening the same 59 messages are still in the queue.  I can
      usually
      > identify the problematic messages after a few days because
      they are
      > much older than current e-mail.
      >
      > If I manually move the messages from
      /var/spool/postfix/hold to /
      > var/spool/postfix/incoming they are immediately
      delivered.  Last
      > night around midnight I dumped 3,000 messages from Friday
      and
      > Saturday just so they could be delivered.  I saw a similar
      thread
      > in the archives and checked to make sure our DNS lookups
      are
      > working properly.  Has anyone seen this before in this new
      > version?  The previous version was rock solid with no
      delivery
      > problems to speak of.  If I can't find an answer soon I
      will have
      > to revert to the previous version.  I appreciate your help!

      Any idea of the content of these messages? It's not. for
      instance,
      the TNEF converter barfing? Do you have any logs showing
      MailScanner
      actually doing anything?

      I feel you are right, it's unlikely to be a Postfix problem
      only
      because once mail is in the hold queue as far as Postfix is
      concerned, it's there forever and forgotten about.

      Drew

      been scanned for viruses and dangerous
      www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy

      Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/
      ) and
      the archives
      (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).

      Support MailScanner development - buy the book off the
      website!