MailScanner stops delivering e-mail to Postfix

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Sun Sep 11 20:01:58 IST 2005

On 11 Sep 2005, at 13:06, Douglas Ward wrote:

> After upgrading MailScanner to version 4.45.4-1 (Mandrake 2005) I
> have noticed that my mail gateways seem to be stopping delivery at
> random times.  After a lot of time searching for a postfix error I
> am starting to think that something may be wrong with MailScanner.
>
> Symptoms:
> 1) Postfix accepts the message and places it in the hold queue.
> MailScanner scans the message but never gives it back to postfix.
> It remains in the hold queue forever.
> 2) I see e-mail in the queue that is several days old.  MailScanner
> moved all of the e-mail from that day except for a handful of
> messages.
> 3) There are times when postfix will run with a certain number of
> messages in the queue.  I'll check it in the morning and see 59
> messages (for example).  E-mail will deliver all day and that
> evening the same 59 messages are still in the queue.  I can usually
> identify the problematic messages after a few days because they are
> much older than current e-mail.
>
> If I manually move the messages from /var/spool/postfix/hold to /
> var/spool/postfix/incoming they are immediately delivered.  Last
> night around midnight I dumped 3,000 messages from Friday and
> Saturday just so they could be delivered.  I saw a similar thread
> in the archives and checked to make sure our DNS lookups are
> working properly.  Has anyone seen this before in this new
> version?  The previous version was rock solid with no delivery
> problems to speak of.  If I can't find an answer soon I will have
> to revert to the previous version.  I appreciate your help!

Any idea of the content of these messages? It's not. for instance,
the TNEF converter barfing? Do you have any logs showing MailScanner
actually doing anything?

I feel you are right, it's unlikely to be a Postfix problem only
because once mail is in the hold queue as far as Postfix is
concerned, it's there forever and forgotten about.

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy