Poll: New logo

Dennis Willson taz at TAZ-MANIA.COM
Mon Oct 24 19:40:52 IST 2005

Inline

Julian Field wrote:

> One (well, 3) question(s) I still don't know the answer to:
> How well known is the logo, outside the people who already use it?
> How widely known is MailScanner as a package?
> Are there any other packages that are known about as well as
> MailScanner, so I can get an idea of how widely it is known?

1. I believe that within the anti-spam community it's very well known. But if you're not well versed in the anti-spam movement it's
far less known. Microsoft shops probably don't know much about it (however, I and a number of consultants I know, push to put
Sendmail and MailScanner in front of Exchange and not let Exchange talk directly to the Internet and so they know about it).

2. I believe that mostly the same group of people that know the logo, know the package and the reverse.

3. I'm not sure here, while there are packages like SpamAssassin that can be run without MailScanner, I have not seen any packages
that "hook" an MTA and allow such easy configuration and provide support for SpamAssassin, Anti-Virus, etc... in the same fashion.
There are packages that are "self-contained" with their own MTA, There are milters for Sendmail but you need to add a bunch of them
all working independently. I just haven't seen anything that ties everything together so neatly and makes things work together so
smoothly without completely re-inventing the wheel.