spam filtering ceased

Randy Fishel randyf at SIBERNET.COM
Sat Oct 22 04:37:09 IST 2005

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Dan Stromberg wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 11:20 +0100, Julian Field wrote:
>
>> By default, MailScanner will always use /usr/bin/perl. But anything that
>> looks for perl in your path may well pick up /dcs/bin/perl. Having these
>> 2 different is very dangerous and the cause of a whole host of problems.
>> Consider replacing /usr/bin/perl with a link to /dcs/bin/perl. And who
>> put perl in /bin? It doesn't belong there.
>
> Hi Julian.
>
> Thanks for your comments.
>
> I'm reluctant to replace /usr/bin/perl with a symlink to /dcs/bin/perl,
> because /usr/bin/perl is the Sun version, and I'm concerned that there
> might be a perl script that ships with the OS that isn't compatibile
> with /dcs/bin/perl.

   If you looked closely at /usr/bin/perl, you would find it is a symlink
already.  It is perfectly acceptable on a Solaris system to replace this
symlink with another (/dcs/bin/perl, /usr/local/bin/perl, etc.).

> /bin and /usr/bin are the same directory usually on most Sun's.

   On all recent Solaris distributions, /bin is a symlink to /usr/bin.

> Would it be sufficient to make sure the $PATH as known by MailScanner
> does not include /dcs/bin/perl?

   Just simply remove /usr/bin/perl, and symlink it to /dcs/bin/perl.  Even
if you upgraded Solaris, this symlink would not be replaced.

rf