spam filtering ceased

Randy Fishel randyf at SIBERNET.COM
Sat Oct 22 04:46:12 IST 2005

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Jeff A. Earickson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> FWIW, when I cold-install Solaris 9 or 10 onto a system, I don't
> install either the SUNW perl packages, the SUNW sendmail package,
> or some other unwanted packages (like apache).  You don't need them for the
> OS to work properly, and they are out-of-date relative to the public-domain
> releases anyway.  Then I install the
> public-domain versions.

   Not to start a OS war/flame, but...

   To some extent, I can understand Apache, as it isn't a Sun supported
product (at least not a seriously supported product), but not installing
Perl could cause other problems, even if you symlink /usr/perl5/bin/perl
to your own distribution, as Solaris programes that use perl expect
/usr/perl5/bin/perl and and may well expect the Sun distributed
components.  If you want your users or other apps to use your compiled
Perl, replace /usr/bin/perl with yours, and leave the Solaris Perl intact.

   As for out-of-date, this isn't as true as it used to be, and the Solaris
sendmail version is not only up-to-date, but is designed to work with all
the components in Solaris that deal with smtp.  I understand the need to
be on the bleeding edge, but if this is desireable _and_ stay with
Solaris, why not just use OpenSolaris?  The Perl and Sendmail in
OpenSolaris _are_ the most current stable versions (as are many other
items, like Apache, Samba, etc.).

   On the other hand, these are your systems you can do as you please (but
as I am curious as to why you use Solaris, and replace core items, feel
free to contact me off-list and clue me in as to your reasoning).

rf