Help with bayes administration/setup

Scott Silva ssilva at SGVWATER.COM
Fri Oct 21 23:09:08 IST 2005

Chris W. Parker spake the following on 10/21/2005 12:09 PM:
> Scott Silva <mailto:ssilva at SGVWATER.COM>
>     on Friday, October 21, 2005 11:09 AM said:
>

>>Did you stop MailScanner before you changed the bayes files?
>

> No.
>

>>Did you check the permissions?
>

> No. What are they supposed to be?
>

>>Run a lint test?
>

> No.
>

>>Restart MailScanner (not reload)?
>

> No.
>

> However, I just installed MailWatch and it required that I stop
> MailScanner, move the bayes db from the original location to a MailWatch
> specific spot, run a lint test, and then start MailScanner.
>
> In other words when I originally installed the FSL files I did none of
> what you said, but I've done it since then. Have I screwed things up?
>

> Chris.

If you tried to replace the bayes files while MailScanner was running,
it probably didn't work, as MailScanner might have been writing or
otherwise had them locked.
If you also installed mailwatch, you might want to stop everything, and
re-copy the bayes starter database. If you used fsl.com's
spamassassin.prefs.conf file, make sure you put the bayes files in the
proper place as per the directives in that file (etc/MailScanner/bayes
if I remember correctly).
Then start MailScanner and look if things are running ok.
you could run tail -f on the maillog and watch it start up.
I usually have 2 or 3 ssh sessions running when I do things like this.
That way I can be watching a log or 2 with tail, and have a session to
work in.
And make sure that when you run the lint test, you specify the location
of the spamassassin.prefs file like this;

spamassassin -D --lint -p /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf

Adjust to suit your setup.

--

| MailScanner; The best |___________ \N1____====== )-+
| protection on the net!|                   ~~~|/~~  |