mqueue and mqueue.in pretty full

Dan Stromberg strombrg at DCS.NAC.UCI.EDU
Thu Oct 20 23:26:11 IST 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 15:02 -0500, Mike Kercher wrote:
> MailScanner mailing list <> scribbled on Thursday, October 20, 2005 2:43 PM:
>
> > I have a system running mailscanner, that has:
> >
> >         meter-root) pwd
> >         /var/spool/mqueue.in
> >         meter-root) ls | wc -l
> >         769
> >         meter-root) cd ../mq
> >         mqueue@     mqueue.in@  mqueue.old/
> >         meter-root) cd ../mqueue
> >         meter-root) ls | wc -l
> >         1026
> >         meter-root)
> >
> > ...which seems excessive.
> >
> > If this were a mailscannerless system, I'd just do
> > /usr/lib/sendmail -bp and/or /usr/lib/sendmail -v -q, and
> > perhaps some telnet'ing to the SMTP port and sniffing to see
> > what's wrong.
> >
> > But what does one do when the flow of mail is clogged on a
> > mailscanner system?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> What is the timestamp on the files?  Are there matching df/qf pairs?  These
> may be leftovers from incomplete SMTP sessions.

mqueue has files from Oct 13-20th, mqueue.in has all files from Oct
20th, and:

meter-root) ./check-mqueue-pairings -d /var/spool/mqueue
df 100.00%
xf   3.88%
qf 100.00%
meter-root) ./check-mqueue-pairings -d /var/spool/mqueue.in
df  90.91%
xf   9.09%
qf 100.00%
meter-root)