off-topic: milter-ahead announcement

Stephen Swaney steve.swaney at fsl.com
Thu Oct 20 23:27:50 IST 2005

For those of you who use milter-ahead - I just spoke with Anthony Howe and
he mentioned that there will be a new improved version of milter-ahead
available soon. The new version will support IPv6 plus new options plus:

* -N option provides an alternate mailertable like database, since the
sendmail mailertable may be disabled or used to direct mail to an
intermediate filtering machine, yet you want to query a machine further down
a chain of filter servers (think closed anti-spam and/or anti-virus
appliances in series before the mail store).

* -m option to enable MX lookups of {rcpt_host} or -N entries.

* -M which accepts a comma separated word list of reserved IP address
categories (RFC 3330: benchmark, link-local, localhost, loopback ,
multicast, private-a, private-b, private-c, reserved, site-local, test-net,
this-net) to discard when performing MX lookups.

The new version will come with the same license, but is moving from free (as
in beer) source to commercial source.

Anthony's support now comes from his work on milters and he must have an
income to continue his excellent work on the milters. A home or "hobby"
license will be 50 euros and a site license for commercial use will be 90
euros. I feel this is a very reasonable price tag for those of us who use
milter-ahead.

For those of you who are not familiar with Anthony' milters please visit:

	http://www.snertsoft.com/solutions.php

Anthony will be announcing a new and very exciting milter soon and I'll
repost to the list when he does so "Watch this space"

Steve

Stephen Swaney
Fort Systems Ltd.
stephen.swaney at fsl.com