OT: Email Etiquette Rant
Michele Neylon:: Blacknight.ie
michele at BLACKNIGHT.IE
Tue Oct 11 21:08:04 IST 2005
[ The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set. ]
[ Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set. ]
[ Some characters may be displayed incorrectly. ]
I haven't done one of these in a while, so if I forget anything obvious
please let me know:
- please don't post HTML emails. They may seem appropriate for marketing
but they are not appropriate for a technical mailing list. Just because
your MUA can display them properly doesn't mean that mine can
- please don't put in 40 line disclaimers. We aren't going to read them
and as you are posting to a public mailing list they are a kind of pointless
- when replying to previous emails try "snipping". There's no point in
reposting several hundred lines of logs etc., to simply say two words
- Subject lines serve a purpose. Please use them and DO NOT hijack threads.
- Please read the MAQ/FAQ and other documentation. The most common
issues have been covered many times in the past.
- Wording your questions properly will help avoid getting "larted" /
Please read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html if you
are unsure what this means.
- The output of MailScanner -v is useful.
- Help us help you. We cannot "guess" what you are doing or using. (see
- Out of Office replies may serve a purpose but sending them to a
mailing list is _not_ it.
- If you insist on "protecting" yourself with CR whitelist the list.
- please don't "top post". There may be valid reasons for doing it in
some contexts, but if you're only sending a two liner do we really need
an entire copy of the last message to the list?
- Be patient. You may be having a rough day, but most regulars on the
list work for a living too
Mr Michele Neylon
Quality Business Hosting & Colocation
Tel. 1850 927 280
Intl. +353 (0) 59 9183072
Direct Dial: +353 (0)59 9183090
Fax. +353 (0) 59 9164239
------------------------ MailScanner list ------------------------
To unsubscribe, email jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk with the words:
'leave mailscanner' in the body of the email.
Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/) and
the archives (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).
Support MailScanner development - buy the book off the website!
More information about the MailScanner