Errors when running --lint

Dimitri Yioulos dyioulos at FIRSTBHPH.COM
Tue Oct 11 21:02:26 IST 2005

On Tuesday October 11 2005 3:41 pm, Alex Neuman van der Hans wrote:
> Glenn Steen wrote:

> >>Anybody care to explain why/how DCC/Razor are not free? Are they "not
> >> free as in beer", "not free as in speech", or some other form of "not
> >> free"? Thanks...
> >
> >Excerpts from their sites
> >DCC: (in reverse order of appearance, for clarity)
> >The Distributed Checksum Clearinghouse source carries a license that
> >is free to organizations that do not sell filtering devices or
> >services except to their own users and that participate in the global
> >DCC network. (I.e. ISPs that use the DCC to filter mail for their own
> >users are intended to be covered in the free license.) You also can't
> >call it your own or blame anyone for using it.
> >Note that it has never been proper to sell the bandwidth and, most
> >important, human system administration work of the public DCC servers
> >to third parties. Sellers of products or services including the DCC
> >must provide DCC servers of their own or contracted from others. For
> >example, Commtouch operates DCC servers for its licensees.
> >Razor2: (More or less the total sum of
> >http://razor.sourceforge.net/docs/doc.php?type=text&name=SERVICE_POLICY)
> >Cloudmark SpamNet Service Policy
> >
> >V1.0
> >Aug 1, 2003
> >
> >SpamNet Service and Razor-Agents
> >
> >While Razor-Agents are distributed under the Artistic License and will
> >stay that way, the Cloudmark SpamNet service, a particular implementation
> >of a Razor-compliant back-end, is a commercial operation with maintenance
> >and support costs, and is no longer available for unlimited free use,
> >effective immediately.
> >
> >Use of the SpamNet service by Razor-agent-enabled software will remain
> >free for personal use, subject to capacity constraints that Cloudmark may
> >enforce against intensive users of the service as it sees fit.
> >
> >Distribution or use of the system in commercial embedded software
> >solutions is not free. All such access must be licensed by Cloudmark.
> >Organizations interested in working with Razor or with Cloudmark's
> >next-generation SpamNet client technologies should contact Cloudmark at
> >partners at cloudmark.com
> >
> >Just for completeness, lets add this blurb from the Pyzor website too:
> > Pyzor is a collaborative, networked system to detect and block spam
> >using identifying digests of messages.
> >
> >Pyzor initially started out to be merely a Python implementation of
> >Razor, but due to the protocol and the fact that Razor's server is not
> >Open Source or software libre, I decided to impelement Pyzor with a
> >new protocol and release the entire system as Open Source and software
> >libre.
> >
> >Since the entire system is released under the GPL, people are free to
> >host their own independent servers. Server peering is planned for a
> >future release.
> >
> >So of them, we have one GPL (but suffering from .... other problems...
> [...]

<SNIP>

Not so.  Razor is available as long as it's not part of a solution that a fee
is chared for.  So, even in a business environment, as long as no fee is
being charged for Razor, it can legally be used.  This is as per vipul; it
was posted here earlier.  Not sure about DCC, though.

Dimitri

believed to be clean.