System load is very high because of MailScanner

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri May 27 11:36:53 IST 2005

Don't worry about the load average. As Martin says, it just means it
is doing something, not that it is overloaded. With an application
like MailScanner running (hard on CPU, memory, disk and net) an
average of 10 to 15 is quite common and not a problem.

As long as the MailScanner batch sizes are pretty small, and your
queue is not constantly growing, then it's doing fine.

On 27 May 2005, at 09:45, BG Mahesh wrote:

> hi
>
> We are using the following config
>
> RedHat Linux [512MB RAM, dual processor]
> MailScanner 4.41.3
> SA 3.0.3
> ClamAV 0.85.1
>
> Our load average is always above 1 :-( Usually 3-6 :-( When I do
> 'top' I see MailScanner using anwywhere from 10-99% of CPU.
>
> We get about 10k emails per day.
>
> How do I detect what could be going wrong?
>
> --
> B.G. Mahesh
> bg.mahesh at indiainfo.com
> http://www.indiainfo.com/

> IndiaInfo Mail - the free e-mail service with a difference!
> www.indiainfo.com
> Check out our value-added Premium features, such as an extra 20MB
> for mail storage, POP3, e-mail forwarding, and ads-free mailboxes!
>
> Powered by Outblaze

Julian Field