System load is very high because of MailScanner

BG Mahesh bg.mahesh at INDIAINFO.COM
Fri May 27 10:53:41 IST 2005

>From: "Martin Hepworth" <martinh at SOLID-STATE-LOGIC.COM>
>
> Hi
>
> have you been through the MAQ/Wiki on tuning?

Yup, I have implemented them. I referred http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=maq:index#optimization_tips
To quickly summarize,

1. In /etc/fstab I have

none /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming tmpfs defaults 0 0

2. Installed DCC and followed instructions from http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/serve/cache/312.html

> what extra rules in SA have you got (eg any from www.rulesemporium.com)?

I rarely add anything of my own. I just go with what comes with the package. But there were few rules that were added by me about 6 months ago, nothing big. Not sure if there is a tool to detect if there are duplicate urls on the system

> Are you using any RBL'S / URI-RBLs and if so are you running a caching
> name server on the host?

/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf  has the following content,

urirhssub URIBL_JP_SURBL  multi.surbl.org.        A   64
body      URIBL_JP_SURBL  eval:check_uridnsbl('URIBL_JP_SURBL')
describe  URIBL_JP_SURBL  Has URI in JP at http://www.surbl.org/lists.html
tflags    URIBL_JP_SURBL  net
score URIBL_JP_SURBL    4.0

/etc/mail/spamassassin/uridnsbl.cf has many rules of the above type.
Let me list just the hostnames

urirhssub URIBL_JP_SURBL multi.surbl.org.   A   64
uridnsbl  URIBL_AH_DNSBL dnsbl.ahbl.org.   TXT
uridnsbl  URIBL_NJA_DNSBL combined.njabl.org.   TXT
uridnsbl  URIBL_SBL_XBL sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org.   TXT
uridnsbl  URIBL_SORBS_DNSBL dnsbl.sorbs.net.   TXT
urirhsbl  URIBL_AH_RHSBL rhsbl.ahbl.org.   A
urirhsbl  URIBL_MP_RHSBL block.rhs.mailpolice.com.   A
urirhsbl  URIBL_SS_RHSBL blackhole.securitysage.com.   A

The mailserver has named running. It is a name server.

> load average means not a lot really, just means its doing stuff. Not
> that it's overloaded or anything.
>
> What more important is how quickly you system is scanning emails, mine's
> normally around 2-3 seconds per email and I've got lots of extra SA
> rules, URI-RBLs, bayes, and Mailwatch and the associated DB all on the
> same P4 2.8ghz machine, with around 8k messages per day of around 26k
> average size.

I should say that in reasonable amount of time the email is delivered. When I send an email from the same box to a user on that box it takes about 5-9 seconds easily to be delivered

--
B.G. Mahesh
bg.mahesh at indiainfo.com
http://www.indiainfo.com/