Authenicating users

Mike Kercher mike at CAMAROSS.NET
Mon May 23 21:15:32 IST 2005

I'd be interested to know the exact failure you got because I can't find
anything in my logs that would indicate you trying to send an email to
me...at least not from the .ak.us address.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
Of Kevin Miller
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2005 10:31 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Authenicating users

Mike Kercher wrote:
> You will really like milter-sender.  It performs the call-ahead that
> milter-ahead performs, but it also performs a call back to the sender
> email address to make sure it is valid and accepting mail.
>
> Mike

It should be mentioned that you may lose a bit of legitimate mail this way
however.  Trying to ping Mike off list, my mail wouldn't go through, since
my MS gateways don't know anything about legitimate addresses which are
currently in Exchange 5.5 and not accessable from the inet.  Although my
address is valid, milter-sender rejected it on his end because it couldn't
be verified.  Once I get to Exchange 2003 and can implement milter ahead
here, that problem *should* go away (I hope).  Milter-sender is a good tool,
but if one implements it, be aware that it may bite you on the kiester in a
few cases.

That, of course, is true of any of our anti-spam efforts - it's all an odds
game...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500

Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/) and the
archives (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).