maillog logging level

Billy A. Pumphrey bpumphrey at WOODMACLAW.COM
Mon May 2 17:59:16 IST 2005

-----------------------
Sendmail listened on 127.0.0.1 only
-----------------------
That helped.  Sendmail is only listening on the local ip address.
If I do telnet server 25 on the local machine I get in, if I do it from another machine it doesn't work.

I found this:
http://www.aei.ca/~pmatulis/pub/sendmail-intro.html#address

I changed this:
O DaemonPortOptions=Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA
To:
O DaemonPortOptions=Port=smtp, Name=MTA

Now if I do a lsof -I 4tcp:25 -nP I get:

I got this to finally work where this command returns:
[root at WoodenMS domain]# lsof -i 4tcp:25 -nP
COMMAND   PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
sendmail 8406 root    4u  IPv4 240247       TCP *:25 (LISTEN)

So it looks like sendmail is listening to all ip address now instead of just 127.0.0.1 like it was before.

-----------------------
MailScanner restart error
-----------------------
I have now messed something up to where I do a MailScanner restart I get the following:

[root at WoodenMS domain]# service MailScanner restart
Shutting down MailScanner daemons:
         MailScanner:         OK  ]
         incoming sendmail:   OK  ]
         outgoing sendmail:   OK  ]
Starting MailScanner daemons:
         incoming sendmail: Warning: Option: AuthOptions requires SASL support (
-DSASL)
  OK  ]
         outgoing sendmail: Warning: Option: AuthOptions requires SASL support (
-DSASL)
  OK  ]
         MailScanner:         OK  ]

I looked in the sendmail.mc file and seen options where to turn it off.  I am looking at configs and searching the net at the moment to try and figure this on out, however if there is a easy answer please tell me :)

M4 command
Between a combination of not seeing that my command of m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf working and going ahead and going against the rules and editing the sendmail.cf directly.

What is the proper command to use the sendmail.mc?

Billy Pumphrey
IT Manager
Wooden & McLaughlin