maillog logging level

Scott Silva ssilva at SGVWATER.COM
Mon May 2 17:19:42 IST 2005

Billy A. Pumphrey wrote:
> ---
> NOTE: I erased the rest of the message to get by the "looks like a
> script" error"
> ---
>
> Ok, telnet
>
> To make it clear, I have a new MailScanner machine (the one that I am
> trying to get working) and the one in production that is out of date on
> software and hardware.
>
> Anyway, I know that sendmail is having problems because when I telnet to
> the new one it looks like it tries and just comes back to the command
> prompt.  If I telnet to the old one a connection is made and shows some
> stuff.
>
> Now,
> Should I just reinstall sendmail on top of mine or something?  I
> installed sendmail by selecting the package when installing centos4.0.
> The service appears to be running ok.  I did the ch config that the book
> and web site talks about.  A service  MailScanner  restart reads fine
> for the services starting (outgoing and incoming sendmail starts fine).
> If I look at the running services it has 1 sendmail running (under user
> smmsp) which is the one that is suppose to be running isn't it?
>
> I was comparing the service --status-all command between the 2 machines.
> The services looks the same as far as MailScanner and sendmail look.
> There is a sendmail running on each, and MailScanner running
> (MailScanner,incoming sendmail, outgoing sendmail)

The default on ALL RedHat based sendmail installs is to only accept
local connections (IE.. from and to 127.0.0.1)
You will have to fix this. It is commented well in the sendmail.mc file.
Look for the section with;

dnl # The following causes sendmail to only listen on the IPv4 loopback
address
dnl # 127.0.0.1 and not on any other network devices. Remove the loopback
dnl # address restriction to accept email from the internet or intranet.
dnl #
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl
Your default will be different, as this has already been changed.

--
"If you have ever eaten crow,
It don't taste like chicken!!"