MailScanner now on the fritz

Dave Duffner - PSCGi webalizer at NWCWEB.COM
Wed Mar 30 16:22:57 IST 2005

Martin,

        Yep, that was the only place that it wasn't done
until Julian's suggestion yesterday.  Popped that into
the file, restarted services (and with today's reboot
it's definitely applied) and still it's at it again.
Random, which is the real strange part, but it loves
to do it.

        On the AWL issue, I'm not sure it's a problem
with the AWL function, as that's showing 'disabled'.
I think it's more than we've built up an AWL file over
time before disarming it and for whatever reason SA's
dipping back into that file as a reference.  Then it
tags.

        So my goal on that issue is to determine where
this 'AWL list' is and flush that file, then see if it
keeps tagging mail.  If so, then it's a larger issue
and possibly time to revamp that server.  If it stops,
problem solved.

        UPDATE:  On the zombie issue mentioned, after
changing some of the tags in MailScanner.conf to 'disarm'
frame tags, etc. to match what someone suggested was
working for them in this List, that's the culprit for
the zombies!

        Changed the settings back to yes/no as I had them,
restarted MailScanner and all the zombies and loads
are now gone.  So one of those 'disarms' apparently
either has issues with trying to disarm certain messages
that causes the processes to loop forever as zombies,
or can't do it and instead of killing the process for
good it's dumping the PID, handing the message back to
be re-processed and then a new PID goes defunct trying
to do the same thing.