Blocking Unknow Users

Rakesh rakesh at NETCORE.CO.IN
Wed Mar 23 09:36:30 GMT 2005

Felipe Tonioli wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Tks for the answers.
>
>I've tried to install milter but cant understand how he works...
>
>I'm using sendmail Brian and Rakesh answer that i can do this using
>sendmail only.
>
>blah at foo.com   OK
>foo.com   REJECT
>
>with the above example, blash at foo.com will be accepted right ?

Yes

>but what are you rejecting for foo.com ?

We are doing that so that we do not accept any other mail other than one
intended for blah at foo.com. For e.g. as per current settings blah at foo.com
will be accepted and xyz at foo.com, abc at foo.com and similar others will be
rejected. Now since you cannot predict what recipient the spammer might
try to forge in its better that you reject the entire domain itself.

foo.com    REJECT

actually  means that all the mails for foo.com should be rejected. But
the lookup is from top to bottom. So when a mail comes in for
blah at foo.com it matches OK and gets accepted, but when the mail comes in
for somebody else, the lookup first rights to match with blah at foo.com
but fails and so proceeds to the next entry which is the domain name and
has REJECT so the mail is finally rejected.

If you try to swap the order of entries like

foo.com   REJECT
blah at foo.com   OK

then you will land up rejecting all the mails for foo.com including the
ones intended for blah at foo.com.

>can you explaim better for me ?

Hope the earlier explanation suits you :)

>this configuration will be addedd to access right ?

yes, or whatever that checks for the recipient access (in the language
of postfix). Ne ways don't confuse with it.

>tks in advance

thanks for the advance :-)

--
Regards,