Mail-ClamAV-0.17 out

David Lee t.d.lee at DURHAM.AC.UK
Fri Mar 11 10:35:05 GMT 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Devon Harding wrote:

> I get this error:
>
> Manifying blib/man3/Mail::ClamAV.3pm
>  /usr/bin/make  -- OK
> Running make test
> PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e"
> "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
> t/Mail-ClamAV....NOK 1#     Failed test (t/Mail-ClamAV.t at line 9)
> #     Tried to use 'Mail::ClamAV'.
> #     Error:  Had problems bootstrapping Inline module 'Mail::ClamAV'
> #
> # Can't load '/root/.cpan/build/Mail-ClamAV-0.17/blib/arch/auto/Mail/ClamAV/ClamAV.so'
> for module Mail::ClamAV: /usr/lib/libz.so.1: symbol __fprintf_chk,
> version GLIBC_2.3.4 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time
> reference at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm
> line 229.
> #  at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/Inline.pm line 500
> [...]

This looks like some interaction in your environment, rather than a fault
within Mail::ClamAV .

That "Can't load ... [...]/blib/arch/auto/Mail/ClamAV/ClamAV.so" is the
fundamental thing for you to address.  And there is a good chance that the
subsequent errors should magically disappear after that.

cd to the working directory: /root/.cpan/build/Mail-ClamAV-0.17 .

See what dynamic libraries are required, which of them successfully
resolve and which fail to resolve.  Do:
    ldd ./blib/arch/auto/Mail/ClamAV/ClamAV.so

whose output ought to be several lines of the form:
    libc.so.1 =>  /path/to/somewhere/libc.so.1
    libclamav.so.1 => /path/to/elsewhere/libclamav.so.1

My guess is that that at least one of these "/path/..." things will give
some sort of "not found" message.

The rest is up to you, for your machine in your environment.  But the
strategy is to find the location of the "libXYZ.[...]" that "ldd" had
failed to find, then to tickle things to make it work.  This might involve
editing the "config.pl" (warning! it gets recreated afresh after each
"perl Makefile.PL").  Or it might mean adjusting your "/etc/ld.so.conf.d/"
directory (care! mistakes here could harm your system).

(I've had to dabble myself in this area.  In my case, the "ldd" failure
highlighted "libclamav.so.1, because our environment has it in an unusual
location.  In your case, it is probably a different library whose perhaps
unusual location underlies the problem.  Might you have two versions of a
library in different locations?  Does your C compiler build with one
version, but your system "/etc/ld.so.conf.d/" refer to different run-time
locations?)

Hope that helps.

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :