Rules Du Jour and local domains

Fri Mar 11 09:11:34 GMT 2005

Jim

not seen anything about your first question so .....

rule_du_jour (and my_rule_du_jour wrapper and a similar one at
www.fsl.com/support) is merely a mechanism for automatically updating
third party SA rules. It will have no affect on your scanning IF the
rules you define in it have not affect!

What I do is not SA scan anything from my internal network, only virus
scan. But I get very very few FP's on the inbound scans in my
environment and I run lots of third party rules (mainly from
www.rulesemporium.com) most of which are updated by my_rules_du_jour.

NB if you run the bogus-virus-warnings.cf ('other' section of the rules
page) you'll need to turn off certain rules where the author has
MailScanner processed email in there due to past default configs with
virus/spam bounces (doesn't help alot of people install MS and leave it
for years without updates).

score VIRUS_WARNING15   0
score VIRUS_WARNING28   0
score VIRUS_WARNING33   0
score VIRUS_WARNING62   0
score VIRUS_WARNING66   0
score VIRUS_WARNING226  0
score VIRUS_WARNING250  0
score VIRUS_WARNING300  0
score VIRUS_WARNING326  0
score VIRUS_WARNING339  0
score VIRUS_WARNING340  0

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Jim Coates wrote:
> What are the thoughts of using Rules Du Jour in a business environment?
>
> Are the rules included pretty safe for an environment where you expect a
> certain amount of business correspondence?
>
> I've recently upgraded my SA installation (which helped a great deal!) and
> am looking to keep rules up to date.
>
> Also, is there a good tutorial for setting MailScanner to not scan emails
> sent from the local domain users?
>
> I have it set to not scan @ourdomain.com, but with that in place spoofed
> email addresses aren't scanned either.
>
> I also tried it via the local IP, but then it doesn't scan emails grabbed by
> Fetchmail.
>
> Thanks for being patient with me.. I'm new to the list and trying to get our
> install working properly.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim Coates
> Laridian, Inc.