bayes expire tokens

Brady Tucker mailscanner at ICNET.NET
Wed Mar 9 01:57:32 GMT 2005

                                                 batucker at icnet.net
                                                 Internet Complete!
                                                 w w w . i c n e t . n e t

-----Original Message-----
Of Peter Bonivart
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 7:00 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: bayes expire tokens

Brady Tucker wrote:
> Here's what finally fixed it for me... I run the bayes expire script from
> cron job at least 3 times a day.  If I Run it twice and I get a few lock
> files... Run it once/day and I get a crapload.... Run it three times/day
and
> its smooth.   I therefore do it every 8 hours.  I'm assuming that the
bayes
> DB gets so big that doing the expire job only once/day it takes to long to
> finish and it gives up and tries again repeatedly ?  (even when running in
> tmpfs)????  I don't know why.. But it works.. And worked on all 4
servers...
> The expiry only takes about 1-3 minutes when run 3 times a day... Was
taking
> upwards of 7 to 10 when once/day... Can't believe it was the problem...
> But.. There you have it.  Somebody smarter than me can either tell me I'm
> crazy... Or explain why.

You may be on to something there. I output the expire run to a file and
check it from time to time and it never takes more than a minute to
finish, big difference from your 7-8. I remember setting one of my
servers to twice a day since it took more than a minute on that one.

Another thing, when you run the same Bayes DB for a long time the
bayes_seen gets insanely large, the expire doesn't touch it or..?

--
/Peter Bonivart

--Unix lovers do it in the Sun