Sizing machine for mailscanner

Quentin Campbell Q.G.Campbell at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK
Mon Mar 7 09:56:52 GMT 2005

The point Sylvain makes about having multiple mail relays to provide
reliability through redundancy cannot be emphasised enough.

The load sharing and failover is simply done using equal value DNS MX
records and round-robin. You do even better if the machines can be
distrbuted around different buildings.

And of course this architecture allows you to take down one machine to
update OS/applications without impacting the service.

You should also use RAID 1 (mirroring) on your disks; again this
provides reliability through redundancy. The cost of the extra disk(s)
is almost marginal. If you can have dual SCSI controllers then so much
the better.

Quentin
---
PHONE: +44 191 222 8209    Information Systems and Services (ISS),
                           University of Newcastle,
                           Newcastle upon Tyne,
FAX:   +44 191 222 8765    United Kingdom, NE1 7RU.