OT: blocking RFC/best practices violators

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Thu Mar 3 01:58:19 GMT 2005

On Mar 2, 2005, at 17:38, Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Matt Kettler wrote:
>> Unfortunately most of the lists rather high in the FP rate.. there's
>> a lot
>> of major ISP's out there that are quite RFC ignorant.

That's disappointing, but understandable (not understandable that
they're doing it, understandable that it makes the lists probably not
very useful to me at work).

> there are even more which arent ignorant, they deliberately choose not
> have a working postmaster@ etc. and unlike abuse@, postmaster@ is not
> optional, no way no how, no matter how you stretch or twist or bend the
> RFCs.

Yeah, some of the bounces I'm getting back from sending to
$relay at abuse.net for our "you sent us viruses yesterday" report come
back as bounces that were sent to postmaster at their-domain but they
don't have a postmaster account.  Makes me think I ought to just not
accept their email at all.

Thanks to both of you for your responses.