MailScanner setup questions

Fri Jun 24 15:51:40 IST 2005

Douglas

see inline
--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator
Solid State Logic
Tel: +44 (0)1865 842300

Douglas Ward wrote:
> I have set up an e-mail gateway server using the following software: MailScanner, Postfix, Mandrake LE2005, ClamAV, SpamAssassin, and BitDefender.  During the setup I have run into a few problems.  After much research I have decided to send out these questions.  I appreciate any advice you could offer.
>
> 1) BitDefender will not auto-update.  When I enter the command "bdc --update" I get the following reply:
>
> [root at barnabus etc]# bdc --update
> BDC/Linux-Console v7.0 (build 2490) (i386) (Dec 10 2003 16:11:35)
> Copyright (C) 1996-2003 SOFTWIN SRL. All rights reserved.
>
> Error: can't find update dll
>
> I noticed that in bdc.ini the UpdateHttpLocation field was pointing to a URL that no longer exists.  I updated it to point to an ftp site where I have been manually downloading the updates.  The default install was in /opt/bdc which is where the bitdefender-wrapper is pointing to.  I can see clamav-wrapper and clamscan appearing in top but do not see bitdefender.
>
> 2) Does MailScanner auto update these definition files?  I have set a cron job to run freshclam periodically and have been manually updating BitDefender until question number one is resolved.  Do I need to worry about this?

yes - run /opt/MailScanner/bin/update_virus_scanners (or whereever this
is on your system) and it will do all the scanners you have defined in
MailScanner.conf

> 3) MailScanner has been shutting down at random times overnight.  We can't find errors in any log files on the server.  Is MailScanner supposed to restart itself periodically?  If so, is there a restart command I am missing somewhere?  We have set up a cron job to try to start MailScanner every hour until we get this figured out.

yes - stops memory leaks. should restart a new one in its place. If not
as again.

> 4) I have downloaded the dcc, pyzor, and razor packages from urpmi and see pyzor working in top.  Are there any further steps I have to take to configure/update these packages?  The documentation has proven rather difficult to figure out.

with pyzor/razor you have run a little update script about once per day.
The pyzor one is "/usr/local/bin/pyzor discover". I guess the razor one
is similar see the man entry.

> I apologize for dumping so many questions on the list at one time.  I have put a lot of time into this gateway and am having difficulty figuring out these four problems.  Despite all of this e-mail is being delivered properly (unless MailScanner stops) to several linux and one Exchange server behind the gateway.  I also appreciate your patience with these newbie questions.  Thanks for your help!

S'alright, we all have to start somewhere.

> Douglas Ward
> Director of Information Technology
> NC Methodist Conference
> 1307 Glenwood Ave.