OT: Cultural Education (Was Postfix: Mails

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 15:24:34 IST 2005

On 6/23/05, Drew Marshall <drew at themarshalls.co.uk> wrote:
> Glenn Steen said:
> > On 6/23/05, Drew Marshall <drew at themarshalls.co.uk> wrote:
> > (snip)
> >> Froggies must be the Swedish alternative to the British hair of dog?? Or
> >> is this what you will be seeing having been a little over zealous with
> >> the
> >> Akvavit?
> >>
> >> Drew
> > Nope, the most famous song/dance of a traditional Midsommarfirande is
> > "Små grodorna", in which you sing about the small frogs looking funny
> > since they have no ears nor tails, then going on to imitating said
> > little froggies both in voice and motion.... All in time with the
> > music, of course, a bit depending on your current snaps-level
> > (measured as %Akvavit/liter blood....:-).
>
> That must be quite something. Bet you could extort some nice funding based
> on video of a) The Boss, b) Other PHB, c) Other suitable individual in
> action.
Not really.... Most everyone does it (even King Carl XVI Gustav, on
occasion... Don't believe I've seen Queen Silvia do it, but then she's
german/brasilian so might explain why not:), so... Unless you plan on
wholesale extotion of the entire nation....:-)

> > Come saturday, that hair of dog will come into play,  along with the
> > usual shaving of tongue etc:-).
>
> :-D
>

> > Now, what you didn't pick up on was the Sill pun ... Sill is swedish
> > for herring (unless the herring was caught in the Baltic sea, in which
> > case it'll be strömming.... Why? Not a clue:-)
>
> This is one of the things I love about this list, not only do I learn
> something new every day but I expand my cultural knowledge too. Perhaps we
> could have culture Friday? Must be Friday some where in the world by now!
> :-).
>
> Drew
Well, for me it's not only "sort-of-friday" (since tomorrow is a
national holiday), but also the last moments of work before a 4 week
vacation (Yay! Haven't had that much in a *lot* of years)... Might
excuse the frivolous nature of these posts:)

So all that's left to do is unbind those clariions holding our
databases, reset the router configs, turn off mailscanner ... and the
phone... and sign off:-).

Skål! Er, ... Cheers!
--
-- Glenn