The Book -- new edition

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at CI.JUNEAU.AK.US
Thu Jun 23 16:39:14 IST 2005

Julian Field wrote:
> I am working on a new edition of The Book(tm). Currently, I have just
> updated the content to reflect all the new options that have been
> added since the last edition, so that it is correct up to and
> including 4.43.
>
> What else would people like to see in the book? Minor changes and
> additions would be preferred to ideas that involve me writing another
> 100 pages!
>
> All ideas welcome, as usual.

I'd like to see an annual addendum put out that brings previous books up to
date.  Since you release so prolifically we could be ordering new books
every six months!  (Or maybe there's a method to your madness there? <g>)
Since I have the original book, it's only really the new stuff that I need a
reference to, so a small companion volume covering the deltas that maybe
comes out quarterly (subscription based?) would be just dapper.  I can see
the start of a new dynasty here: Field Publishing.  Watch out Tim O'Reilley.

I'd also suggest a bit more discussion on the areas where there seems to be
perennial confusion such as zipped file scan depth, bayes lock files (mine's
still wonky), rules etc.  There's some areas of the .conf file that one has
to read through a couple times in order to get the big picture.  Some
additional verbage that isn't just an echo of the .conf comments would be
helpful.

You might also add an appendix on the joys/benefits of SMGateway over and
above MS.  A succinct description of the advantages of using SMGateway over
a "roll your own" instance might help w/sales (good for you) and for those
in an email admin role but whose primary job is not email administration it
might help them make a case to their PHBs that buying a supported product is
in their best interest (good for them).

HTH...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500