Forcing Queue as Apache

Jim Holland mailscanner at MANGO.ZW
Tue Jun 14 22:11:07 IST 2005

Hi

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Max Kipness wrote:

> I^Òve been unable to figure out the best method to force email through the
> queue as user apache.
>
> I^Òve created a web page that lists emails from the
> /var/spool/Mailscanner/^Å/^Å/spam dir. To release an email, I simply have
> some PHP code that copies the email to the /var/spool/mqueue dir. After
> altering permissions in MailScanner.conf, this is not a problem. If I just
> wait for the next queue interval (default 30 min), everything is fine.
> However, I^Òd like the email to deliver immediately, so I have the PHP
> script executing the following command:
>
> $send = `/usr/sbin/sendmail ^ÖqI$messageid`;
>
> This causes permissions problems.

A possible compromise that avoids giving any additional permissions to
apache would be for the script to dump the quarantined mail into a
temporary holding queue, and then for a root cron job to check the
contents once a minute and if it finds mail in the holding queue it could
move it into the mail queue and process that particular message.  You
could even have a script that checks every few seconds if you wanted to
minimise the delay.

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service