OT: Blocking oversized messages during SMTP transaction

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Tue Jun 14 22:15:08 IST 2005

Jim Holland wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Sorry to be a little off topic here, but we have a sendmail issue that I
> hope someone might be able to assist with.  It is driving us mad!
>
> We have only very limited bandwidth - 64k for 2,500 (yes) e-mail users -
> so need to utilise our bandwidth as efficiently as possible.  We have
> therefore configured the maximum message size in sendmail 8.13.1 to 1.5 MB.
> This normally works fine with intelligent mail systems that understand
> what "250-SIZE 1500000" means.

Which exact sendmail options did you set for this?

There are several different options which act in related ways, but not quite the
same. For example, did you set SMTP_MAILER_MAX or MAX_MESSAGE_SIZE, or both?