OT Configuring DCC and Razor

Scott Silva ssilva at SGVWATER.COM
Fri Jul 15 00:08:26 IST 2005

Ugo Bellavance spake the following on 7/14/2005 1:31 PM:
> Billy A. Pumphrey wrote:
>
>>>Subject: Re: OT Configuring DCC and Razor
>>
>>Probably a question that is going against the design of services:
>>Example
>>Mailwatch does a spamassassin lint check under the apache user
>>(correct?).  Which means that it gives different results or errors that
>>if it is ran with the "correct" user, such as root.  This could be
>>misleading because I might think that my spamassassin has problems and
>>it really doesn't.
>>
>>So the question is, should the best practice be to have everything that
>>is installed to do with MailScanner use the same user?
>>

> There is a problem... if you use Sendmail as MTA with mailscanner, then
> you must run MailScanner as root.  MailWatch runs as the web server
> user.  Do you want your web server to run as root?  No (security).
>
> All the other plugins used with MailScanner will run as the user
> MailScanner is using.
>
> I'm aware of this mess and I only use the --lint test in MailWatch is to
> get the time reports with the colors.
>
> If you find a solution, plese let us know...
>
> Thanks,
There is a solution, but I don't know how secure it is.
Move .razor to /var/www and symlink back to /root.
I tried it on one server, and both the commandline and MailWatch lint
tests run ok.
I will humbly wait for chastisement and see what happens.

--

| MailScanner; The best |___________ \N1____====== )-+
| protection on the net!|                   ~~~|/~~  |