"Restart Every" option in MailScanner.conf?

Joost Waversveld joost at WAVERSVELD.NL
Fri Dec 30 19:16:04 GMT 2005

> On 12/30/05, Joost Waversveld <joost at waversveld.nl> wrote:
>>
>> > instead? It will share the load and still take all the load if one
>> fails.
>> > It's as easy as assigning an MX record in DNS pointing to both your
>> boxes
>> > with the same "cost".
>>
>> This is not true!!! If you assign an MX record with the same cost, then
>> the DNS will randomly return one ip. If that IP fails, it will NOT try
>> the other, but another MX record with an higher cost or fail.
>>

> The DNS server will return all records in random order and the client will
> normally pick the first one. That makes for easy load sharing. MTA:s try
> another MX if one is not available, do you mean that with same cost that
> principle is void? That would break RFC974 I think:
>
> If the list of MX RRs is not empty, the mailer should try to deliver
>   the message to the MXs in order (lowest preference value tried
>   first).  The mailer is required to attempt delivery to the lowest
>   valued MX.  Implementors are encouraged to write mailers so that they
>   try the MXs in order until one of the MXs accepts the message, or all
>   the MXs have been tried.  A somewhat less demanding system, in which
>   a fixed number of MXs is tried, is also reasonable.  Note that
>   multiple MXs may have the same preference value.  In this case, all
>   MXs at with a given value must be tried before any of a higher value
>   are tried.  In addition, in the special case in which there are
>   several MXs with the lowest preference value,  all of them should be
>   tried before a message is deemed undeliverable.
>

> --
> /Peter

Yes, this would break the RFC. Unfortunately you're depending on the
sending MTA so that would mean you COULD lose some e-mail. I've seen it
happen, but I cannot remember the exact situation.....

Personally I do not want to depend on some one else's mailserver if you
understand what I mean....