Will milter-greylist solve my directory harvest attacks?

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Thu Dec 15 22:38:01 GMT 2005

shuttlebox wrote:
> On 12/15/05, *Matt Kettler* <mkettler at evi-inc.com
> <mailto:mkettler at evi-inc.com>> wrote:
>
>     The BAD_RCPT_THROTTLE options is probably the most effective here.
>     Here's a
>     quick sendmail.mc <http://sendmail.mc> fragment for it:
>
>     #after 15 invalid recipients, start slowing them down with
>     #1 second sleeps
>     define(`confBAD_RCPT_THROTTLE',15)
>

> But the gateway doesn't know if the recipient is valid or not, only if
> it can deliver it to the next server. Do you mean together with
> milter-sender or similar?

Further follow-up.. milter-sender is the exact opposite of what we're talking
about here. That validates the sender, not the recipient.

Perhaps milter-ahead could be used here, but not milter-sender.