Will milter-greylist solve my directory harvest attacks?

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Thu Dec 15 22:36:52 GMT 2005

shuttlebox wrote:
> On 12/15/05, *Matt Kettler* <mkettler at evi-inc.com
> <mailto:mkettler at evi-inc.com>> wrote:
>
>     The BAD_RCPT_THROTTLE options is probably the most effective here.
>     Here's a
>     quick sendmail.mc <http://sendmail.mc> fragment for it:
>
>     #after 15 invalid recipients, start slowing them down with
>     #1 second sleeps
>     define(`confBAD_RCPT_THROTTLE',15)
>

> But the gateway doesn't know if the recipient is valid or not, only if
> it can deliver it to the next server. Do you mean together with
> milter-sender or similar?

What do you mean by "can deliver it to the next server"?

Does it really know it can deliver that address to the next server? or does it
just know it should forward the domain to the next server?