Convert-BinHex-1.119: old and crusty?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Dec 6 19:12:21 GMT 2005

The MIME-tools package uses Convert::BinHex to handle old Mac binaries.
1.119 is the most recent, but very old, version there is. It should work
okay, they are both written by the same person.

You could try contacting him at eryq at zeegee.com but I wouldn't hold out
much hope, he has passed MIME-tools support to others. See
http://search.cpan.org/~dskoll/ for more info of what modules David
Skoll supports. He's a busy guy, but I have worked with him a few times
and he is very good. Phrase your subject line very carefully, in order
to attract his attention and interest. He doesn't explicitly support
Convert::BinHex but he may be able to help you out.

Jeff A. Earickson wrote:

> Gang,
> I was attempting to rebuild and reinstall Convert-BinHex-1.119
> on a Solaris 9 system running perl 5.8.7.  I got the following:
>
> (15)> perl Makefile.PL
> Writing Makefile for Convert::BinHex
> (16)> gmake
> Manifying blib/man3/Convert::BinHex.3
> (17)> gmake test
> PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e"
> "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
> t/comp2bin....Can't locate package Exporter for @Checker::ISA at
> t/comp2bin.t line 3.
> Undefined subroutine &main::check called at t/comp2bin.t line 75.
> t/comp2bin....dubious
>         Test returned status 255 (wstat 65280, 0xff00)
> DIED. FAILED tests 1-9
>         Failed 9/9 tests, 0.00% okay
> Failed Test  Stat Wstat Total Fail  Failed  List of Failed
>
> t/comp2bin.t  255 65280     9   18 200.00%  1-9
> Failed 1/1 test scripts, 0.00% okay. 9/9 subtests failed, 0.00% okay.
> gmake: *** [test_dynamic] Error 255
>
> I have no clue why this failed.  Ideas?  A check of CPAN shows that
> this module has not been updated since 1997 -- it is old and crusty.
> The CPAN test info also shows failures noted against Solaris 8.
> Julian, maybe this is too old for a modern MailScanner...

- --
Julian Field

believed to be clean.