Block SOBER at MTA (postfix)

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Sun Dec 4 16:52:35 GMT 2005

On 4 Dec 2005, at 15:49, Julian Field wrote:

>>> Going forward (if the interest exists) i think we ought to
>>> maintain  this for all supported MTAs and all (possible) new
>>> virus outbreaks.
>>

>> Agreed. Perhaps we can lift some of the regex's from the Clam
>> virus  definitions? I have no idea how possible this is/ maybe...
>
> This sounds remarkably like you are trying to make a virus scanner
> of your own. You better be sure this is really the sort of thing
> you want to take on as a project. You'll have users wanting
> signatures very quickly and stuff like that, before you know where
> you are.
> Personally I would steer well clear of it, and try out various ways
> of deploying ClamAV at MTA level if that's what you want to achieve.
> Just my 2p worth...

Re-reading my post it does sound like that doesn't it...

Certainly this is not what I am trying to achieve, however for major
outbreaks using header/ body checks maybe useful (My ISP uses a
similar technique on their incoming MTA's). This sort of thing can
never be a substitute for a real AV product. After all, why re-invent
the wheel, Clam does rather a good job and if you want MTA scanning
use clamd direct from your MTA. Most have some form of plugin
capability.

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy