Batch processing failure

Jim Holland mailscanner at MANGO.ZW
Fri Dec 2 20:28:51 GMT 2005

Hi

I am running:

Linux mail.mango.zw 2.4.20-28.7 #1 Thu Dec 18 11:15:04 EST 2003 i586 unknown
This is Red Hat Linux release 7.1 (Seawolf)
This is Perl version 5.006001 (5.6.1)
This is MailScanner version 4.45.4
sendmail 8.13.1

I currently have a problem that I have come across on a number of
occasions before: Mail in two batches of 30 messages is not being
correctly processed by MailScanner, but other mail is being handled
normally.  The messages are being scanned, with normal reports of viruses
being found or spam being identified according to the sendmail maillog
file.  However the messages simply don't get delivered or quarantined as
the case may be, and are just left for hours in mqueue.in, where they
get repeatedly reprocessed, but never to finalisation.

In the past I have just moved the first couple of messages out of
mqueue.in and restarted MailScanner and it has sorted itself out, as it
seems to be doing on this occasion.  However, the question remains: why
does this problem arise?

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service