Exim Install

Steve Evans scevans at CALPOLY.EDU
Thu Dec 1 20:29:18 GMT 2005

I'm trying to install MailScanner with exim for the first time.  Here is
a list of the steps I have taken.

Install MailScanner (no problems)
Copied /etc/exim.conf to /etc/exim_scanned.conf
Added these lines to /etc/exim.conf
    spool_directory = /var/spool/exim_incoming
    queue_only = true

Then down in the routers config section of /etc/exim.conf I added
    defer_router:
        driver = manualroute
        route_list = * 127.0.0.1 byname
        self = defer
        verify = false

In MailScanner.conf I modified these lines
    Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/exim_incoming/input/
    Outgoing Queue Dir = /var/spool/exim/input/
    MTA = exim
    Sendmail = /usr/sbin/exim
    Sendmail2 = /usr/sbin/exim -C /etc/exim_scanned.conf

Modified the file /etc/sysconfig/MailScanner
    EXIM=/usr/sbin/exim
    EXIMINCF=/etc/exim/exim.conf
    EXIMSENDCF=/etc/exim/exim_scanned.conf

My two queue directories have the permissions of
    drwxr-x---   5 mailnull mail 4096 Jul 22  2004 exim/
    drwxr-x---   5 mailnull mail 4096 Nov 30 15:45 exim_incoming/

    (note:  I didn't touch the exim folder, just the exim_incoming)

Then I do a service exim stop and a service MailScanner start.

The mail comes into /var/spool/exim_incoming but nothing happens after
that.  It just stacks up there.  If I stop MailScanner, change back the
exim.conf file, and start exim mail flows as normal.  If I change the
exim.conf file to only specify a new spool directory everything works
fine.  So I"m pretty sure I have my queues set up correctly.  Obviously
though MailScanner doesn't scan the mail if I do that.

Can someone tell me what I'm missing?

Steve Evans
805-756-7517