worm emails marked as possible spam

IT Dept itdept at FRACTALWEB.COM
Thu Dec 1 20:34:17 GMT 2005

IT Dept wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> I agree. This seems like EXACTLY what's happening. I haven't been over
> on the clamav list lately...what are people saying there about this
> issue?
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

Hi Jeff and all,

I take back what I said. I have checked by logging in via ssh and
visiting the message quarantine dir and typing "clamscan *" and it does
indeed find Sober.U.

So, back to MailScanner then...Why, if a message is not being tagged as
"high spam" would the message appear to not be scanned for viruses? What
happens first, a blocked file or the virus scan? My guess is that
because the file is blocked (we don't allow .exe files ever),
MailScanner is not sending the file to be scanned for viruses; as a
result my users are being deluged with bad content messages...sometimes
over a hundred a day. Is there a way to change this, other than allowing
.exe files?

Thanks,
Chris