Why is MS doing spam checks first?

Scott Silva ssilva at SGVWATER.COM
Thu Dec 1 20:26:19 GMT 2005

Ed Bruce spake the following on 12/1/2005 11:46 AM:
> Scott Silva wrote:
>
>>Ed Bruce spake the following on 12/1/2005 6:13 AM:

>>>But its still true that the majority of the email we receive is spam.
>>>I'm guessing this is still true for the majority of users of MS.
>>>
>>>But I would prefer, for personal reasons, to have virus scanning first.
>>>

>>IF you must have virus scanning first, you could use mimedefang or
>>clamav milter and scan for viruses first. But you will probably have
>>more load, not less.
>>

> Load is not a problem, only processing about 2-3k msgs/day. More of the
> way I configured MS to Work with Mailwatch so I can release msg from
> quarantine. I now have infected emails in the spam directory. I've just
> made sure that email from 127.0.0.1 is virus scanned to stop them. But
> by scanning for viruses first then infected emails are not identified as
> SPAM only with no indication that they are infected.
Did you try the following in MailScanner.conf?

# Do you want to stop any virus-infected spam getting into the spam or MCP
# archives? If you have a system where users can release messages from the
# spam or MCP archives, then you probably want to stop them being able to
# release any infected messages, so set this to yes.
# It is set to no by default as it causes a small hit in performance, and
# many people don't allow users to access the spam quarantine, so don't
# need it.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Keep Spam And MCP Archive Clean = yes

--

| MailScanner; The best |___________ \N1____====== )-+
| protection on the net!|                   ~~~|/~~  |