(OT) Postfix Virtual

Pete Russell pete at ENITECH.COM.AU
Thu Dec 1 13:13:59 GMT 2005

> Here is another way to look at this (Other than using virtual maps).
>
> How about using alias maps on the local side as opposed to virtual?
>
> Let me explain further. In the aliases file is a list of local users and
> where their addresses alias to. Now from Postfix's perspective any domain
> listed as local in main.cf will use this database to check aliases and
> user maps, so if you create one list for example:
>
> pete:    pete at exchange.domain.com
>
> (Don't forget to run newaliases) and then modify main.cf to list your
> incoming domains (All of them) as local in main.cf. All you then need to
> do is modify your transport map file like:
>
> exchange.domain.com    smtp:[exchange.ip.add.ress]
>
> and postmap the transport file.
>
> This will tell Postfix to alias all mail addressed to pete@<domains listed
> as local> to pete at exchange.domain.com, MailScanner will do it's bit and
> then the transport map will tell the delivery agent where to direct mail
> to exchange.domain.com.
>
> Doing it this way you may even be able to extract the users from AD and
> add them to the aliases file automatically.
>
> My 2p anyway
>
> Drew

Thanks for your response, only draw back is that i have half a dozen
domains on these machines now, some already virtual and therefore i
would have no way of seperating the duplicates?

The 2 new domains in my example, the address books are Lotus Domino on
NT4 - so LDAP only, which i currently query with perl to build recipient
maps (which cuts 50%+ of mail off at helo :), i also query AD for a
couple of domains. I am modifying one of these scripts to build my maps
automatically, but i am running behind, at this time i just need to
decom one Domino server that currently does the aliasing.

I will use Glenn's example /^pete at .*domain1\.tld/ pete1 at domain3.tld for
the format of the map and make them manually doing view exports from the
NAB and mail merge for tomorrow :)

Thanks very much for your advice, much appreciated
Pete